Saturday, March 6, 2010

CHINESE NEW YEAR

February 11th, 2008


February 6, 2008 - CHINESE NEW YEAR

It was around 6 in the evening that Gretchen and I’ve decided to meet at Park Cafe. Jeff and I lingered for a while at the cafe, smoked and sipped the late-served-Coffee Freeze just in time for Greta to arrive. I was half-excited to be invited to join the Chinese Festival at the Chinese Temple. Unfamiliar faces flooded over the brightly flourescent-lit room; few of them were Chinese and mostly were brown-skinned Filipinos. CULTURE SHOCK, was the very first thing that blasted in my mind. Our friend, Pia met us and introduced us to a few people. Blah-blahs about where we work and what we do were the common content of the conversation over the next five minutes and then later on we were to be asked if we want to be blessed? By whom and how? All I know was I was to list my name and add the number 30 or 40 beside it.

CHRISTINE IVY E. VILLALBA 30

Only to find out later that the number would be the exact amount of my donation (I thought it was going to be the year’s lucky number or something). The hosts and hostesses gathered us in their dining area where the food laden table was. What a scrumptious sight it was, but got disappointed by having to taste exactly the oppposite of how it looked like.
We have to raise our plates head-level, twice as our hostess chanted some thanksgiving prayer.
Everything is VEGAN!

* Fried Lumpia - 0 star
* Four Seasons - 5 stars
* Misua Pancit - 0 star
* Adobo Gluten - 3 stars
* Adobo Eggplant - 5 stars
* Adobo Ampalaya - ?
* Fruit Macaroni salad - 3 stars
* Caramel Cookie bars - 5 stars
* Cuchinta - 4 bars

I’m a pro on this but not in here where I have to deal with the crowded room and the EMO KIDS’ line to get some cold water to gulp everything down. For the first time, I’ve only made one trip to the table and swore to never go back again.

Well, here comes entertainment. After our tummies had kicked out famine, a few of the teen kids danced. We were told that they would be presenting on a dance contest at Shanghai but then I did take a second look at the guys in the group. Hey! These were the guys who commonly gets in a fight at Divisoria. Guys who do breakdancing at the plaza with those utterly loudly colored hair and out-of-the-world hiphop outfits. Anyway, let them do their thing, some of them entertained me well.

The prayer begins: to say adieu to 2007. The Buddhism ceremony really gives intricate details on everything. They keep the room brightly lit and the smell of incense wafted in the air. They offer food to the fat Buddha. Every fruit and food and drinks to be offered which are in the plates were precisely counted. Later on, small kneeling pads which you’ll mistake as chocolate-caramel eclairs were laid across the floor. Their holy teacher started the prayer by lighting up a bundle of incense sticks which burned fire endlessly as it was then stationed on the altar. Throughout the ceremony, I was not allowed to cross my arms nor my feet when sitting down. I was to pay attention to the whole unfamiliar ceremony which I think lasted for an hour to two. My feet were getting those nasty cramps. The innocent thought of eagerly being blessed got fouled out. I thought we were only to witness their prayers to say goodbye to 2007 and welcome 2008. But we were to participate as well. I walked voluntarily near the altar, raise my hands as if in prayer, stare at the holy light until they say so, kneel and bow if we have to and follow the Chinese chant and I’m not even sure if I’ve said it right. We were told we’re accepted and along with the burnt prayers and incenses were our names which were said to be now registered in heaven. READ THAT? I am safe.. hahaha!

I was taught to be patient while accepting new things. Buddhism was something new that I was wishing to experience. Something that I wasn’t even aware of having. I thought that the whole process would be as simple as us going to the church; where we could just get in, stand behind the pews and routinely chant the prayers we’ve known by heart since we were toddlers. I’ve started that day — a blasted day of worry and no plans laid ahead. Simply stepping into a very unfamiliar surrounding, which was not that extraordinary and getting accustomed to other people’s tradition, was another one of my lost situations. I was grateful, though I wanted to kick Pia’s butt. If the clock struck at eleven in the evening, it was the Chinese New Year. We arrived at the place at 6 o’clock in the evening. But alas! Who would’ve though it would last until 12 midnight! My eyes were weary and I got myself floating lifelessly on my station the next day. I was too tired and too sleepy but after that vegetarian feast I’ve had, I was not too sure I could eat something.

No comments:

Post a Comment