During kindergarten, my school used to have some film showing at our classrooms. It was on our English class. All Disney films were being watched and I remember my boy classmates rolling their eyes when the movies being casted were the Disney princesses: Snow White, Cinderella etcetera. But I’ve never missed a day to watch any of it and I’d even sit in a neighboring classroom. And I could even remember my embarrassing moment of informing my teacher in poor Tagalog, “I-off na natin yung suga, teacher” and then I’d remember Chinky telling me, “Ilaw Ivy oi, dili suga”. I was the laughingstock for a minute but I shrugged it off. I had a way with getting out of these kinds of situations. There was a time when I had my first encounter with sore eyes. Then I missed I movie which then turned out to be my favorite: Beauty and the Beast. When I was younger, I’ve never had the luxury of sitting at the Orchestra seats of the cinema nor did going to one was my family’s habit. My Mom knew that I’ve been feeling sore not because of my eyes but because I’ve missed one film showing. She took me to the cinema then. Sky Hi near Tiano-Montalvan streets. We watched Beauty and the Beast. I was elated at that very day. My Mom was never the affectionate type but she knew I was happy and I knew she was too.
When I was in third grade, my family moved to Digos (then a small town in Davao del Sur. I was in fourth grade at that time, too engrossed with Power Rangers and Ultraman. So when the Ultraman movie showed up in town, I’ve beckoned my Mom to take me, my three younger siblings and my two cousins (Lysther and Analou) to the cinema. I knew she was too unhappy having to take all of us but she did. What was then were “Double with” movies: double marathons of movies being shown. We watched Ultraman “double with” Once upon in China III. Ultraman was shown late and I was anxious that our night would be cut short because my Mom didn’t stay to watch the movies with us; she’d be picking us up in an hour. Some Chinese movie was being served. But again, I always had my way with situations like this. I was to not think of the time and it did work. . I half-yelled the night away, both from scolding my younger brother to stay put on his seat. A Chinese epic movie shown in Chinese language didn’t interest him at all. I first came to know Jet Li that night and I fell in love with him. Even if we were introduced in Cantonese with no subtitles. Geek.
My Tita’s Ninang owns an old cinema, couldn’t remember the name of the place but I remember her old restaurant, Mountain View. We had free passes there when my Tita asks permission on our behalf. Going to the movies did get old for us; one – because we don’t have any control with the movies that are going to be doubled with the one we want to watch and two – because my Mom can’t wait up all night for us to go home. But I was always in high spirits that night especially if I’d get to do what I really want which is then why my Mom sorted this out by having to rent VHS tapes of my choice and go over to my Uncle Joseph’s place every night with my family and do our own film showing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment